[Skip to Content]
[Skip to Content Landing]
Article
November 15, 1919

"DESENSITIZATION OF PERSONS AGAINST IVY POISONING"

JAMA. 1919;73(20):1543. doi:10.1001/jama.1919.02610460061028

This article is only available in the PDF format. Download the PDF to view the article, as well as its associated figures and tables.

Abstract

To the Editor:  —The statement referred to by Dr. Mann, which is due to Dr. Franz Pfaff, formerly of the Harvard Medical School, is quoted correctly as printed. Several years ago I attempted (Pharm. J.83:562, 1909) to verify Dr. Pfaff's experiments, using the purified resin from the poison sumach instead of that from the poison ivy (the two poisons are believed to be identical). These attempts to obtain an exact quantitative limit to the amounts which would produce symptoms were discouraging, probably from want of a sufficiently sensitive subject on which to make the tests. The fact was verified, however, that the substance is poisonous in extremely minute quantities—far less than 0.001 gm. The minute dosage is obtained by suitable dilutions in alcohol.

First Page Preview View Large
First page PDF preview
First page PDF preview
×