This article is only available in the PDF format. Download the PDF to view the article, as well as its associated figures and tables.
March 11, 1922, at 1 p. m., a meal was served, at the Lakeside Hospital at Kendallville, Ind., of canned salmon and canned spinach. Within from twelve to twenty-four hours nine persons, all of whom had partaken of this meal, and all of whom had certainly partaken of the spinach, developed typical symptoms of botulinus poisoning, consisting of abdominal cramps, vomiting, diplopia, ptosis, dysphagia and aphonia. All persons who ate some of the spinach developed symptoms. No one in the hospital became ill who had not partaken of the spinach, and there were four or five, though they did eat the salmon. Antibotulinus serum was requested by telegraph from Prof. Robert Graham at the University of Illinois thirty hours after the spinach was eaten. At the same time a similar telegraphic request was sent to Dr. G. W. McCoy, director of the Hygienic Laboratory, Washington, D. C. The first doses
BEALL CG. REPORT OF AN OUTBREAK OF BOTULISM. JAMA. 1922;79(1):38–39. doi:10.1001/jama.1922.02640010042011
Customize your JAMA Network experience by selecting one or more topics from the list below.
Create a personal account or sign in to: