In the five days from February 27 to March 4, 1923, there were two deaths from gas gangrene at St. John's Long Island City Hospital. The first infection was of the scrotal, perineal and ischiorectal regions and followed ischiorectal abscess; the second gas infection followed a crushing injury to the left leg. In each case the diagnosis was substantiated by bacteriologic and postmortem examination.
In the traumatic case, the patient entered the hospital three days after our first patient succumbed, and occupied an adjoining bed. Since there is no other case of gas gangrene on record in this institution, the possibility of cross-infection having occurred must be considered. And yet a review of the literature reveals a remarkable paucity of reported cases of gas gangrene in civil practice. Christopher1 asserts that "a careful search of recent medical literature revealed only seven writers who reported nine cases of gas gangrene
BERKOW SG, TOLK NR. ISCHIORECTAL ABSCESS FOLLOWED BY GAS GANGRENE; GAS GANGRENE FOLLOWING TRAUMA: REPORT OF TWO CASES. JAMA. 1923;80(23):1689–1691. doi:10.1001/jama.1923.02640500031012
Customize your JAMA Network experience by selecting one or more topics from the list below.
Create a personal account or sign in to: