[Skip to Navigation]
Article
May 2, 1925

PARIS

JAMA. 1925;84(18):1369-1370. doi:10.1001/jama.1925.02660440055017

This article is only available in the PDF format. Download the PDF to view the article, as well as its associated figures and tables.

Abstract

Poisoning Resulting from Eating Edible Mussels  In an extensive article appearing in the Annales de médecine, N. Fiessinger and A. Ravina discuss the various aspects of poisoning resulting from the dietary use of edible mussels, Mytilus edulis. These mussels are widely used as an article of food. For many years, it has been known that poisoning of varying gravity, and doubtless due to widely different causes, may occur from their consumption.The writers point out that often mussels are eaten that have been developed under very bad conditions, since the sea mussel can be made to thrive in stagnant or polluted waters more easily than other mollusks. As a rule, mussels gathered in the ports of northern France are eaten within forty-eight hours after they are taken out of the water. They are usually eaten in an almost raw state, being allowed to remain only a few minutes over the

First Page Preview View Large
First page PDF preview
First page PDF preview
×