[Skip to Content]
Access to paid content on this site is currently suspended due to excessive activity being detected from your IP address 35.172.195.82. Please contact the publisher to request reinstatement.
[Skip to Content Landing]
Article
December 15, 1923

PARIS

JAMA. 1923;81(24):2046-2047. doi:10.1001/jama.1923.02650240050023

This article is only available in the PDF format. Download the PDF to view the article, as well as its associated figures and tables.

Abstract

The Activities of the Optical Institute  Before the war, France was dependent on importation for its optical instruments, and Germany supplied 70 per cent, of our needs. The consequence was that, in 1914, the French optical instrument industry was not in a position to keep up with the heavy demand for optical instruments needed for national defense by the army. Impelled by necessity, France succeeded in organizing, in the midst of the war, an intensive production of instruments of precision. The geographic service of the army served as a clearing house for army orders, and in turn coordinated the efforts of the French manufacturers and distributed the orders among them. Thus the monthly production of optical lenses was increased from 4,000 kilograms in 1914 to 12,000 kilograms in 1918, or about 80 per cent, of the total production of the allies, a good result in view of the hasty character

First Page Preview View Large
First page PDF preview
First page PDF preview
×