This article is only available in the PDF format. Download the PDF to view the article, as well as its associated figures and tables.
To the Editor:
—I wish to report three cases of poisoning by motor gas because, while the newspapers are reporting deaths from this cause all the time, few people realize how insidious this poison is or that children may succumb in a few minutes to an amount that may be unnoticed by adults.Dr. H., preparatory to setting out for his office on the morning of Nov. 13, 1923, opened the door of his garage, which is in the basement of his residence, and started the engine, when a neighbor came into the yard. The doctor left his engine running idle and went out. While he was talking, his two children and a neighbor's child were playing about. Their ages varied from 4 to 5½ years. In certainly less than ten minutes he returned to the garage, the doors of which were now closed, and on looking through the door
Emerson PW. CARBON MONOXID ASPHYXIATION FROM MOTOR EXHAUST. JAMA. 1924;82(3):227. doi:10.1001/jama.1924.02650290057027
Browse and subscribe to JAMA Network podcasts!
Customize your JAMA Network experience by selecting one or more topics from the list below.
Create a personal account or sign in to: