Cold weather and the dark days of winter mean for our city population an increasing use of illuminating gas for warmth and light. Frequently, gas heaters and flexible gas tubing are bought at second hand without regard to leaks or imperfections. Such heat as the house affords is precious: the windows, which may have been kept open in early fall, are closed the greater part of the time night and day.
This is the situation that makes for a seasonal increase in the risk of carbon monoxide poisoning, acute and chronic, for persons of all ages, aside from the year-round liability of adults whose occupations have to do with furnaces, coal mining, gas manufacture or garage exhaust. At any time in the year an ordinary gas jet for illumination may be found to be leaking: in winter, with closed windows, it may easily become a menace to life.
STEVENS AM. CARBON MONOXIDE POISONING: GRADUAL, CUMULATIVE EFFECTS IN YOUNG CHILDREN, WITH REPORT OF A FATAL CASE. JAMA. 1926;86(16):1201–1204. doi:10.1001/jama.1926.02670420025007
Customize your JAMA Network experience by selecting one or more topics from the list below.
Create a personal account or sign in to: