[Skip to Content]
[Skip to Content Landing]
Article
February 19, 1927

GENEVA

JAMA. 1927;88(8):580-581. doi:10.1001/jama.1927.02680340052020

This article is only available in the PDF format. Download the PDF to view the article, as well as its associated figures and tables.

Abstract

History of Prostitution at Avignon  In the twelfth century there were no brothels at Avignon, but a century later, as pointed out by Dr. Cartoux (thesis, Lyons, 1923), prostitution became lawful by municipal decree. In the fourteenth century, the afflux of riches increased the number of prostitutes and with them the number of bath houses, which were always the rendezvous of vice, although primarily they were intended to offer all hygienic necessities. The proprietor of these establishments finally had private rooms in which his clients could be given food and drink. In 1441, the synod forbade ecclesiastics and clerks to enter these establishments for the purpose of bathing. In 1413, the vicar general of the pope enacted regulations, revised in 1441, essentially consisting of controlling definite sections of the city, defining the clothes to be worn and prescribing a badge distinctive of the profession. In regulating prostitution, the legislator tacitly

First Page Preview View Large
First page PDF preview
First page PDF preview
×