[Skip to Content]
[Skip to Content Landing]
Article
October 8, 1927

GASTRIC SECRETION AFTER PARTIAL GASTRECTOMY

Author Affiliations

NEW YORK
From the Service of Dr. A. A. Berg, and from the laboratory of the Mount Sinai Hospital.

JAMA. 1927;89(15):1235-1239. doi:10.1001/jama.1927.02690150045013
Abstract

The excellent results obtained after partial gastrectomy for gastric and duodenal ulcers have been attributed to the fact that in a large percentage of cases an anacidity is produced. Thus, Lorenz and Schur1 found that 75 per cent of patients were rendered anacid. In this hospital Lewisohn2 reported 77 per cent of anacidities. Similar results have been obtained by others.

This study was prompted by three considerations. First, if 77 per cent of the patients were rendered anacid by the operation, why was not the same result obtained in the remaining 23 per cent? Second, some gastrojejunal and jejunal ulcers have recently been reported after partial gastrectomy. Did these occur in the cases in which acidity persisted? Third, since the absence of free acid in the stomach can be effected in various ways, what was the nature of the anacidity after partial gastrectomy?

Hydrochloric acid is considered by

×