[Skip to Content]
Access to paid content on this site is currently suspended due to excessive activity being detected from your IP address 34.238.190.122. Please contact the publisher to request reinstatement.
[Skip to Content Landing]
Article
November 1, 1941

Current Comment

JAMA. 1941;117(18):1542. doi:10.1001/jama.1941.02820440050014
Abstract

CANCER MORTALITY DECLINES IN NEW YORK  The division of cancer control of the New York State Department of Health has announced a decrease in cancer mortality in upstate New York.1 This decrease is most definite among women aged 25 to 45, in whom a decrease of 10 per cent was noted between 1930 and 1940. In the same period a decrease of approximately 3 per cent occurred in older women. The cancer mortality among men at all ages increased, but this increase was limited to men over 44; in men aged 25 to 44 the rate remained practically unchanged. Changes in the age distribution of the population were sufficient to increase the cancer mortality among males by 14 per cent from 1930 to 1940, in addition to a so-called true increase of 9 per cent, a total of 23 per cent. In women, changes in age distribution should have

×