[Skip to Content]
[Skip to Content Landing]
April 14, 1928


JAMA. 1928;90(15):1233. doi:10.1001/jama.1928.02690420061023

This article is only available in the PDF format. Download the PDF to view the article, as well as its associated figures and tables.


Carbon Monoxide Poisoning from Gas Bathroom Heaters  According to the statistics given by Sanitätsrat Dr. Knorr of Berlin, in the Deutsche medizinische Wochenschrift, there have been thus far twenty-eight cases of carbon monoxide poisoning from the use of gas bathroom heaters. There were thirty-four persons involved, and sixteen of these died from the effects. In all cases the poisoning was due to carbon monoxide fumes and not to illuminating gas. There are two circumstances that explain the recurrence of such accidents, which make it difficult to prevent them. First, it is generally believed that the combustion products of illuminating water gas are entirely harmless. The fact is overlooked that the quantity of carbon monoxide developed in heating the necessary amount of water for a full bath is considerable. For a full bath 180 liters of water is required, the heating of which necessitates the burning of 1⅓ cubic meters of

First Page Preview View Large
First page PDF preview
First page PDF preview