Amphetamine (benzedrine) sulfate in recent years has become a useful and widely used drug. Although the toxicity of this agent has been claimed to be slight, it still may be the source of accidental poisoning. A number of cases have been reported in which nonfatal toxic symptoms resulted from large doses of the drug. Ehrich, Lewy and Krumbhaar1 refer to a man aged 67 who recovered after accidental ingestion of between 300 and 800 mg. (most likely 450 mg.; i. e. 5 to 6 mg. per kilogram). He was seen on the second morning with an elevated blood pressure and he was very excited and apprehensive. His heart action was violent. Therapy consisted of soluble pentobarbital only. Apfelberg2 reported that a psychoneurotic man remained in coma thirty-six hours after taking 140 mg. of amphetamine sulfate. This patient recovered. Anderson and Scott3 reported a case in which collapse,
Hertzog AJ, Karlstrom AE, Bechtel MJ. ACCIDENTAL AMPHETAMINE SULFATE POISONING. JAMA. 1943;121(4):256–257. doi:10.1001/jama.1943.62840040002008a
Customize your JAMA Network experience by selecting one or more topics from the list below.
Create a personal account or sign in to: