[Skip to Content]
Access to paid content on this site is currently suspended due to excessive activity being detected from your IP address 34.204.193.85. Please contact the publisher to request reinstatement.
[Skip to Content Landing]
Article
May 8, 1943

History of the Reading Hospital, 1867-1942

JAMA. 1943;122(2):142. doi:10.1001/jama.1943.02840190072036

This article is only available in the PDF format. Download the PDF to view the article, as well as its associated figures and tables.

Abstract

This book was prepared in celebration of the seventy-fifth anniversary of the Reading Hospital. About 1850 a few rugged and public spirited general practitioners organized the Reading Medical Association and some of them in 1867 founded the Reading Dispensary, which was the forerunner of the Reading Hospital. Among the founders was the president of the Berks County Medical Society at that time, who with another physician, when necessary, personally paid the rent for the dispensary building. The founders of the dispensary saw the need for the services of other distinguished professional and business men of the community, and that, it appears, was a large factor in the successful development of a hospital which on Sept. 1, 1942 had 361 beds in modern, well equipped buildings. While numerous citizens of the community gave funds toward rebuilding the hospital, the land and $600,000 were donated by Ferdinand Thun, Henry Janssen and Gustav

First Page Preview View Large
First page PDF preview
First page PDF preview
×