[Skip to Content]
[Skip to Content Landing]
August 31, 1929


Author Affiliations

Camden, Me.

JAMA. 1929;93(9):712. doi:10.1001/jama.1929.02710090052029

This article is only available in the PDF format. Download the PDF to view the article, as well as its associated figures and tables.


To the Editor:  —About 5 o'clock one morning a call came saying that A. S. had taken poison the night previously by mistake. About ten hours had elapsed since his taking the poisonous substance. His lips and the inside of his mouth were burned, the tongue being the worse. His tongue was glistening white and semitransparent to a depth of about one-eighth inch. It was a burn such as phenol, compound solution of cresol or silver nitrate might give. There was no odor discernible.The patient stated that, coming into the house the night before, he went to the cupboard and took down a paper bag which he thought contained licorice powder; since there was not much in the bag he swallowed the contents and disposed of the bag by throwing it into the toilet. He had suffered considerable pain during the night but would not call any one to

First Page Preview View Large
First page PDF preview
First page PDF preview