This article is only available in the PDF format. Download the PDF to view the article, as well as its associated figures and tables.
An Italian girl, aged 21, was admitted with a complaint of excessive perspiration, high fever and excessive thirst. In childhood she had measles, mumps and chickenpox and five years before admission had an appendectomy. The family stated that the patient had always been nervous since the operation and had been allowed to have her own way around the house.
For a time the patient had been taking capsules, one three times a day, of a preparation known commercially as "Nitro-Bese," for obesity. This had been prescribed for her by a licensed chiropractor. Because of an unfortunate love affair, the patient attempted suicide, which was successful, by taking forty-five such capsules, each containing 100 mg. These were taken at 5 p. m. on the day of admission. She had no ill effects until about 8:30 p. m. the same day, when she began to vomit, perspire and feel weak. She
Purvine R. FATAL POISONING FROM SODIUM DINITROPHENOL. JAMA. 1936;107(25):2046. doi:10.1001/jama.1936.92770510002008a
Customize your JAMA Network experience by selecting one or more topics from the list below.
Create a personal account or sign in to: