[Skip to Content]
[Skip to Content Landing]
Views 889
Citations 0
Comment & Response
September 3, 2019

Workplace Wellness Programs and Health Outcomes

Author Affiliations
  • 1HEALTHWORKS Division, Atrium Health, Charlotte, North Carolina
JAMA. 2019;322(9):892-893. doi:10.1001/jama.2019.9821

To the Editor A cluster randomized clinical trial of a workplace wellness program found no significant differences in health or health care spending or utilization after 18 months.1 However, the negative results may lack general relevance on several counts.

The program’s limited intensity could have resulted in misclassification of “treated” participants at the study’s treatment worksites, where 65% of 4037 employees failed to complete even 1 of the 8 health modules. The other 35% completed a mean of only 3.7 modules.

×