[Skip to Content]
[Skip to Content Landing]
Other Articles
August 11, 1945

Medical News

JAMA. 1945;128(15):1116-1118. doi:10.1001/jama.1945.02860320058020

This article is only available in the PDF format. Download the PDF to view the article, as well as its associated figures and tables.

Abstract

ALABAMA 

Medical School Opens.—  The Medical College of Alabama, Birmingham, opened officially June 4 with instruction of a junior class. On October 8 the School of Basic Medical Sciences on the University campus, where the first and second years are given, established in 1920, and its faculty will be absorbed into the new Medical College of Alabama. The School of Basic Sciences, direct successor in 1920 of the Medical College of Alabama at Mobile, organized in 1859, ceases to exist in October. The new Medical College of Alabama was established by action of the 1943 state legislature as a division of the University of Alabama. It was located in Birmingham in 1944 by vote of a special governor's commission. In 1945 it assumed title to Jefferson Hospital, Hillman Hospital, outpatient department, nurses home and all other city and county property of Jefferson County. In addition, the county and city gave

First Page Preview View Large
First page PDF preview
First page PDF preview
×