This article is only available in the PDF format. Download the PDF to view the article, as well as its associated figures and tables.
To the Editor:—
As one who is allergic to ivy poison, I was of course interested in the editorial in The Journal, June 23. Some thirty years ago I suffered from a violent dermatitis, which came on promptly after beginning to use my fur gloves that had been moth proofed with synthetic camphor. The discomfort was intense and resistant to everything I tried. The eruption was similar to that of an intense ivy poisoning. In desperation, after the condition had run on for about a week, I thrust my wrists under the stream from the hot water faucet, in and out quickly to avoid scalding. At first the itching was so much intensified that it was almost a pleasure, but each succeeding plunge brought less response, until the itching was entirely relieved after about a dozen applications and remained so for several hours. I repeated the same course of treatment,
Park FE. FIRST AID FOR IVY POISONING. JAMA. 1945;128(16):1186. doi:10.1001/jama.1945.02860330054023
Customize your JAMA Network experience by selecting one or more topics from the list below.
Create a personal account or sign in to: