[Skip to Content]
[Skip to Content Landing]
Other Articles
September 29, 1945

MEDICINE AND THE WAR

JAMA. 1945;129(5):353-359. doi:10.1001/jama.1945.02860390039015

This article is only available in the PDF format. Download the PDF to view the article, as well as its associated figures and tables.

Abstract

ARMY 

TYPHOID REDUCED IN THE ARMED FORCES  As a result of use of the typhoid vaccine produced at the Army Medical Center, Washington, D. C., typhoid in the armed services has been reduced to less than 0.1 per cent. Sufficient vaccine to immunize a million persons a year is shipped out regularly in specially designed wirebound boxes, Col. S. D. Avery, chief of the division of biologic products, stated.All Army, Navy, Coast Guard, Marine and Merchant Marine units overseas periodically receive yearly booster shots from the laboratory of the Army Medical Center. The Navy alone receives 15,000 bottles of typhoid vaccine monthly, shipped in special wirebound boxes perfected after thirteen years of research in packing and shipping by the U. S. Army Medical Department Professional Service School. The boxes, although dumped on beachheads during invasions, transported by jeep, donkey, camel or glider, delivered the glass bottled typhoid vaccine

First Page Preview View Large
First page PDF preview
First page PDF preview
×