[Skip to Content]
[Skip to Content Landing]
Other Articles
April 16, 1938

THE BLOOD TRANSFUSION BETTERMENT ASSOCIATION OF NEW YORK CITY: ORGANIZATION AND FUNCTIONING OF THE ASSOCIATION AND ITS BLOOD DONOR BUREAU

Author Affiliations

Chairman of the Board of Medical Control and Vice President of the Board of Trustees of the Association NEW YORK

JAMA. 1938;110(16):1248-1252. doi:10.1001/jama.1938.02790160006002
Abstract

The Blood Transfusion Betterment Association of New York City, with its Blood Donor Bureau, was founded in 1929 under the auspices of the New York Academy of Medicine and with the aid of a small initial grant from Mr. John D. Rockefeller Jr. It is an expansion of the work of the Cooperative Blood Donors Bureau established at New York Hospital by Dr. Arthur F. Coca in response to a demand by hospitals and physicians for professional donors who have been reliably examined and thoroughly tested. Up to that time some individual hospitals and transfusionists had their own groups of donors, who were more or less carefully examined and tested, but most of the unsupervised and uncontrolled donors were supplied by commercial agencies, a large proportion of whose donors were frequently recruited from the less responsible elements of the community. Little consideration was shown for the welfare either of the

First Page Preview View Large
First page PDF preview
First page PDF preview
×