[Skip to Content]
Access to paid content on this site is currently suspended due to excessive activity being detected from your IP address 34.204.191.0. Please contact the publisher to request reinstatement.
[Skip to Content Landing]
Other Articles
June 18, 1938

ARMY MEDICAL MUSEUM AND LIBRARY

JAMA. 1938;110(25):2084-2085. doi:10.1001/jama.1938.02790250044014
Abstract

Congress has passed the bill authorizing the construction of a new building for the Army Medical Library and Museum. At last the world's mightiest collection of medical literature and one of the largest of medical museums will be given adequate quarters.

Fifty-five years ago1 a committee of the American Medical Association composed of three of America's greatest medical men made a study of the needs of the Army Medical Museum and Library for a building. The committee was composed of Dr. Samuel D. Gross of Philadelphia, the leading surgeon of his day, Dr. Austin Flint of New York, one of the greatest American diagnosticians, and Dr. Oliver Wendell Holmes of Boston, the "Autocrat of the Breakfast Table." The books of the Surgeon General's Library, as it was then called, were stored in Ford's Theater, the scene of President Lincoln's assassination. The specimens of the Army Medical Museum were likewise

×