This article is only available in the PDF format. Download the PDF to view the article, as well as its associated figures and tables.
The Noland Hospital.—
With the unveiling of a bronze plaque before the Employees' Hospital of the Tennessee Coal, Iron and Railroad Company, Fairfield, the name of the late Dr. Lloyd Noland on April 22 became affixed to the institution he founded 30 years ago and directed until his death last year. The speaker at the dedication was Dr. George V. Brindley of Temple, Texas, president of the Southern Surgical Association. Messages from Benjamin F. Fairless, president of U. S. Steel Corporation, and Dr. Ernest E. Irons, President of the American Medical Association, were read at the ceremony. Dr. Noland came to the Birmingham district in 1913 to assume the task of improving the health situation among TCI employees. Under his direction a health service was set up which reached all company villages and which in a few years greatly reduced the incidence of infectious diseases. Built under Dr. Noland's
Medical News. JAMA. 1950;143(4):380–383. doi:10.1001/jama.1950.02910390052018