This article is only available in the PDF format. Download the PDF to view the article, as well as its associated figures and tables.
A white woman, aged 27, entered St. Luke's Hospital Dec. 1, 1951. In July, 1949, she had had a severe localized pain in the right shoulder. Aspirin afforded temporary relief, but the pain recurred in May, 1950, and again, temporarily, responded to aspirin therapy. Several weeks later she had a radiating pain extending down her right arm to the wrist and intermittently spreading to the scapula and the neck regions. She also had had a gradual loss of weight during this time. In June, 1950, she was admitted to the hospital for diagnosis, and roentgenograms at that time disclosed a destruction of the cortex in the proximal end of the right humerus with osteoblastic tissues along the lateral surface. A biopsy of the lesion led to a surgical resection of the proximal third of the right humerus, and a bone graft from the right tibia was used to bridge the
Edwin F. Hirsch. PRESENTATION OF CASE. JAMA. 1954;156(3):248–249. doi:10.1001/jama.1954.02950030040012