I had been of the opinion that wax crayons so prevalently used by children could be eaten with impunity, as I had observed instances of children and dogs ingesting them with no apparent harm. The case here reported convinced me that the ingestion of certain colors may be serious, and could be fatal. This belief is further corroborated by the recent report of a similar case by Jones and Brieger.1
REPORT OF A CASE
H. B., a healthy, well nourished, 28 month old boy, was hurriedly brought to my office by his father at 11 a. m., March 25, 1947. The father had been called by the nurse at the child's nursery school. The nurse said the child appeared to be having a heart attack and was in critical condition. Examination revealed an intensely cyanosed child with nearly black lips, asleep in his father's arms. The pulse
CLARK EB. POISONING DUE TO INGESTION OF WAX CRAYONSReport of a Case. JAMA. 1947;135(14):917–918. doi:10.1001/jama.1947.62890140001009
Customize your JAMA Network experience by selecting one or more topics from the list below.