[Skip to Content]
[Skip to Content Landing]
Article
February 14, 1948

DEATH FOLLOWING ACCIDENTAL INGESTION OF DDT: Experimental Studies

Author Affiliations

Wadsworth, Kan.

From the Department of Pathology, Veterans Administration Center, Wadsworth, Kansas.

JAMA. 1948;136(7):469-471. doi:10.1001/jama.1948.72890240013007
Abstract

DDT (1,1,1,-trichloro-2,2-bis [p-chlorophenyl]-ethane) has recently become widely used in readily available commercial insecticides. Therefore, this chemical has added to the list of protoplasmic poisons which do not produce detrimental effects when used as intended,1 but may be extremely harmful, and even lethal, when ingested accidentally or with suicidal intent. A case of accidental fatal poisoning by ingestion of a commercial DDT preparation was observed recently, which came to autopsy six and one-half days after drinking the poison. Other instances of accidental DDT intoxication undoubtedly will occur as long as these preparations are available commercially, and thus an investigation into the toxic effects of one of these commercial insecticides should be of interest.

REPORT OF CASE  Mr. B, age 58, a white laborer, had been in good health until Aug. 1, 1946. On the afternoon of hat day he drank, accidentally, 120 cc. of a 5 per cent solution of

×