[Skip to Content]
[Skip to Content Landing]
Article
February 21, 1948

MEDIASTINITIS DUE TO INGESTION OF GLASS

Author Affiliations

Milwaukee

From the Milwaukee Children's Hospital.

JAMA. 1948;136(8):554-555. doi:10.1001/jama.1948.72890250010009
Abstract

Considering that the glass industry produced over seven billion glass food containers during the year 1946,1 it is surprising that accidents due to the ingestion of pieces of glass broken off these containers have rarely been reported.

I am reporting the cases of 2 small children, in each of whom mediastinitis developed after ingestion of glass chipped off baby food containers. These accidents occurred within a three week period. In both instances it is probable that the breakage of the containers was due to the improper exertion of force at one particular point in prying the covers off the vacuum-packed glass containers. However, it is probably not generally realized by the consumer that such force should be exerted at more than one point about the rim of the container and that directions for opening such containers, even though printed in extremely small type, could well be followed if similar

First Page Preview View Large
First page PDF preview
First page PDF preview
×