[Skip to Navigation]
Article
October 16, 1948

THERAPY OF CHRONIC "ATROPHIC GASTRITIS" WITH EIGHT YEARS' GASTROSCOPIC CONTROL

Author Affiliations

Chicago

From the departments of Medicine, Cook County Hospital and Provident Hospital. Chicago.

JAMA. 1948;138(7):485-488. doi:10.1001/jama.1948.02900070017004
Abstract

The anatomic entity known as chronic "atrophic gastritis" may be observed gastroscopically to improve or disappear from the stomachs of patients having pernicious anemia after liver therapy. Since the initial report of this observation by Jones, Benedict and Hampton1 in 1935, several other reports2 have appeared in the literature. In addition, gastroscopic changes in the atrophic gastric mucosa of patients without pernicious anemia have been observed by several investigators after specific types of therapy. Some of the substances used are dessicated hog's stomach ("ventriculin") by Schiff and Goodman,3 liver and iron by Schindler, Kirsner and Palmer4 and others,5 thiamine by Bower6 and others, and the separate components of the vitamin B complex by Shapiro and his associates.7 Each of these studies was made on extremely small groups of patients and followed over relatively short periods of time. Some observers reported disappearance of atrophy

×