[Skip to Content]
[Skip to Content Landing]
Article
May 5, 1956

GOVERNMENT SERVICES

JAMA. 1956;161(1):84. doi:10.1001/jama.1956.02970010086023

This article is only available in the PDF format. Download the PDF to view the article, as well as its associated figures and tables.

Abstract

NAVY 

Radioisotope Center Established in Egypt.—  The surgeon general recently announced that a complete radioisotope laboratory has been established at Cairo, Egypt. In support of the "Atoms for Peace" program, established by the President, the radioisotope laboratory is to be used for medical treatment of the Egyptian people. Staffed by United States-trained Egyptian scientists, the laboratory was preassembled at the National Naval Medical Center, Bethesda, Md., and placed in operation prior to transfer to Cairo.In November, 1954, at the request of the Egyptian ambassador and through arrangements with the United States government and the Bureau of Medicine and Surgery, Lieut. William Boyd Looney, M. C., U. S. N. R., went to Cairo to aid in initiating the program and train Egyptian scientists in the use of radioisotopes.Four Egyptian scientists soon arrived in Washington, D. C., for training at the National Naval Medical Center. Further training was continued at

First Page Preview View Large
First page PDF preview
First page PDF preview
×