[Skip to Content]
[Skip to Content Landing]
Article
November 15, 1952

HOSPITAL CONSTRUCTION WITHOUT FEDERAL FUNDS

Author Affiliations

W. Wells and N. 27 Streets Milwaukee 8.

JAMA. 1952;150(11):1141. doi:10.1001/jama.1952.03680110081028

This article is only available in the PDF format. Download the PDF to view the article, as well as its associated figures and tables.

Abstract

To the Editor:  —In these days of widespread dependence on federal funds for hospital construction and other purposes, it is noteworthy to record an example of a community that had the will and the self-reliance to construct a hospital wing without any federal aid. Misericordia Hospital in Milwaukee recently opened a new seven story wing built entirely from funds raised by its sisters, the staff, and private contributors.At the time the new hospital wing was planned, the Hill-Burton funds were being spread about the state of Wisconsin as elsewhere in the country. The bureaucrats in Washington or Madison decided the north side of Milwaukee had adequate hospital facilities, and so the Hill-Burton funds were assigned only to the south side of Milwaukee. This excluded Misericordia Hospital; however, the Sister Superior was emphatic in stating that if the funds had been made available to her she would not have accepted

First Page Preview View Large
First page PDF preview
First page PDF preview
×