[Skip to Content]
[Skip to Content Landing]
Article
September 21, 1957

ACCIDENTAL INGESTION OF A TOXIC DOSE OF CHLORAMBUCILREPORT OF A CASE IN A CHILD

JAMA. 1957;165(3):239-240. doi:10.1001/jama.1957.72980210001010
Abstract

Chlorambucil [p-(di-2 chloroethyl) aminophenylbutyric acid, CB 1348], a water-soluble aromatic nitrogen mustard, was developed by Haddow and his associates1 at the Chester Beatty Research Institute in London and has recently been used in the treatment of patients with malignant lymphoma and leukemia.2

The purpose of this paper is to report the clinical and hematological effects observed in a child from the accidental ingestion of an overwhelming dose of this orally given nitrogen mustard. A review of the literature has failed to reveal a previous report of this type.

Report of a Case  A 2½-year-old male accidentally ingested approximately 35 2-mg. (5 mg. per kilogram of body weight) chlorambucil tablets while visiting an uncle who had been taking this experimental drug for an inoperable sarcoma. Three hours after this incident occurred, the child became lethargic and vomited. He grew progressively more unresponsive, and five hours after the ingestion he

First Page Preview View Large
First page PDF preview
First page PDF preview
×