A 24-year-old man complained of hoarseness and sore throat of 10 to 12 hours' duration. When examined he showed signs of laryngitis and pharyngitis but was free from fever and signs of respiratory obstruction. Circumstantial evidence later showed that immediately after the examination he took a lozenge containing 10 mg. of benzocaine, 1 mg. of tyrothricin, and chlorophyll. Acute and increasing respiratory distress appeared promptly, and he was pronounced dead some 20 minutes after he had reported for the examination. Analysis of the postmortem findings and other data indicated that the fatality was due to anaphylaxis.
Hesch DJ. ANAPHYLACTIC DEATH FROM USE OF A THROAT LOZENGE. JAMA. 1960;172(1):12–15. doi:10.1001/jama.1960.03020010069005
Customize your JAMA Network experience by selecting one or more topics from the list below.