This article is only available in the PDF format. Download the PDF to view the article, as well as its associated figures and tables.
Shortly after World War II, a number of workers at Oxford who had been among the major contributors to the development of antibiotics and, particularly, to the production and application of penicillin proposed "to produce a book covering all aspects of their discovery, isolation and chemical, bacteriological and pharmacological characteristics as well as their clinical use, where this has been found possible." The rapidly accelerating pace at which work in this field was moving and the tremendous growth of the literature that accompanied the resulting developments made this impossible. However, in 1949, seven of these Oxford workers (headed by Sir Howard W. Florey) succeeded in getting out two volumes entitled "Antibiotics" which dealt mainly with the history and developments in the laboratory. These volumes comprised 1,774 pages and contained about 3,500 bibliographic references. The clinical applications were to be covered in a third volume to be authored by Lady Mary
Maxwell Finland. The Clinical Application of Antibiotics. Volume IV: Erythromycin and Other Antibiotics. JAMA. 1960;173(16):1863. doi:10.1001/jama.1960.03020340081034