[Skip to Content]
[Skip to Content Landing]
Article
January 19, 1976

Electrical Malfunction at Endoscopy: Possible Cause of Arrhythmia and Death

Author Affiliations

From the Division of Gastroenterology, the departments of medicine and biophysics, Medical College of Virginia, Virginia Commonwealth University, Richmond. Dr Longacher is now with the McGuire Clinic, Richmond, Va.

JAMA. 1976;235(3):273-275. doi:10.1001/jama.1976.03260290031021
Abstract

Gastroscopy-associated electrical shock occurred in two cases, with one death. An ACMI Wappler transformer-powered Hirschowitz flexible fibergastroscope was used.

Ideally, endoscopes should not contain electrically conductive material or metals that might corrode. Electrical systems used at endoscopy should conform to the existing standards for "electrically sensitive patient" locations, and should be subject to the routine maintenance procedure prescribed for equipment in such locations by the National Fire Protection Agency.

(JAMA 235:273-275, 1976)

×