To the Editor.—
The implication that could be derived from Olivera (236:1936, 1976), that the absorption of mercury from a broken thermometer has no clinical importance, may not be quite correct. We recently had a patient who swallowed the mercury from a broken thermometer, and later it appeared in the urine at a level above the maximal permissible concentration.1
Kohn D, Schonfeld S. Broken Thermometer and Mercury Absorption. JAMA. 1977;237(23):2472. doi:10.1001/jama.1977.03270500024018
Coronavirus Resource Center
Customize your JAMA Network experience by selecting one or more topics from the list below.
Create a personal account or sign in to: