This article is only available in the PDF format. Download the PDF to view the article, as well as its associated figures and tables.
To the Editor.—
I would like to report a patient who received an overdose of "tetanus toxoid, fluid." A total dose of 3.8 ml (2.0 ml intramuscularly in one buttock, 1.6 ml in the other, and 0.2 ml subcutaneously in the left deltoid region) was inadvertently administered to a 32-year-old female employee. The patient was to have received prophylactic γ-globulin (0.02 ml/lb of body weight) because of a puncture wound of her little finger by a hypodermic needle in a contaminated disposal box. Based on her report of localized reactions to tetanus toxoid in the past, the 0.2-ml dose rather than the standard 0.5 ml of tetanus toxoid, fluid was ordered.There was no immediate local or systemic response. The patient refused hospitalization for observation. Fifty milligrams of diphenhydramine hydrochloride (Benadryl) orally every four hours was prescribed for three days. A local reaction manifested by mild erythema, heat, induration, slight
Lerner S. Overdose of Tetanus Toxoid. JAMA. 1974;228(2):159. doi:10.1001/jama.1974.03230270019014
Customize your JAMA Network experience by selecting one or more topics from the list below.
Create a personal account or sign in to: