Among 50 previously well patients, aged 69 years or older, who had a first seizure, a cause could be identified in only 25 (50%). Cerebrovascular disease accounted for the seizures in 30% of the total group. Only one tumor was found. Treatable causes were found in 20%. In 25 patients (50%), a cause could not be identified. A total of 56% of the patients had focal motor seizures, and in 44%, the seizures were generalized. A definite cause could be established in 57% of those with focal seizure and in 41% of those with generalized seizures. These results are compared with previous surveys of adult-onset epilepsy and indicate a somewhat different etiologic distribution in elderly patients.
(JAMA 238:1177-1178, 1977)
Schold C, Yarnell PR, Earnest MP. Origin of Seizures in Elderly Patients. JAMA. 1977;238(11):1177–1178. doi:10.1001/jama.1977.03280120069020
Customize your JAMA Network experience by selecting one or more topics from the list below.
Create a personal account or sign in to: