[Skip to Content]
Access to paid content on this site is currently suspended due to excessive activity being detected from your IP address 34.238.190.122. Please contact the publisher to request reinstatement.
[Skip to Content Landing]
Article
November 18, 1974

Total Hip Replacement

Author Affiliations

From the Centre for Hip Surgery, Wrightington Hospital, Wigan, and Manchester University, Manchester, England.

JAMA. 1974;230(7):1025-1028. doi:10.1001/jama.1974.03240070057038
Abstract

This is an historic account of the development of total hip replacement as it took place in the author's laboratories and surgical clinics from about 1954 to the present time. The study covers five phases: basic research into the lubrication of normal animal joints; the trial of polytef as a low-friction plastic for the hip socket; bonding of implants to living bone by quick-setting acrylic cement; introduction of high-density polyethylene as a successful plastics material for the hip socket; and the attempt to identify a cause of late failure, when the probable alternatives were chemical rejection or bacterial infection, by eliminating airborne infection.

(JAMA 230:1025-1028, 1974)

×