Dogs were fed laetrile and fresh, sweet almonds under various conditions. The doses of laetrile were similar to those prescribed for patients with cancer and ranged on a basis of gram to square meter from an equivalent of the oral dose for man to five times this dose. Six of the ten dogs died of cyanide poisoning. One dog recovered, and three dogs, at the time of sacrifice, demonstrated various levels of neurologic impairment, ranging from difficulty in walking to coma. These studies demonstrate that oral laetrile is highly toxic when taken with some common table foods. We predict that there will be an increased incidence of cyanide poisoning in man as laetrile becomes more readily available.
(JAMA 239:943-947, 1978)
Schmidt ES, Newton GW, Sanders SM, Lewis JP, Conn EE. Laetrile Toxicity Studies in Dogs. JAMA. 1978;239(10):943–947. doi:10.1001/jama.1978.03280370039021
Coronavirus Resource Center
Customize your JAMA Network experience by selecting one or more topics from the list below.
Create a personal account or sign in to: