[Skip to Content]
[Skip to Content Landing]
Article
January 8, 1982

Medical Schools, Clinical Faculty, and Community Physicians

JAMA. 1982;247(2):200-202. doi:10.1001/jama.1982.03320270038020
Abstract

MOST medical schools have controlled or had a dominant influence on their principal teaching hospitals where the full-time faculty engage in medical practice, students are educated, and residents are trained. However, 25 of the 29 recently established medical schools have affiliated only with community hospitals and do not control these institutions.1 In addition, the number of community hospitals affiliated with medical schools increased from 517 in 1966 to 1,168 in 1976.2 Despite this, most community hospitals do not have affiliations with medical schools and have no educational or training programs. For the purposes of this discussion, hospitals are divided into those closely affiliated with medical schools and that have a large contingent of "full-time" clinical faculty, and those that are community hospitals used largely or exclusively by community physicians in their medical practice.

There are noticeable differences between the principal teaching hospitals of medical schools and community hospitals.

×