One man died and four other persons required hospitalization following accidental exposure to carbon monoxide at a motel. In spite of prompt diagnosis of the index cases, a search for the source of exposure and for other possible victims was delayed more than ten hours. Subsequent investigation revealed that air conditioning units drew carbon monoxide from the gas heaters for the motel's indoor swimming pools into three adjacent guest rooms through structural defects in the walls. Emergency care providers must remember that in environmental exposures, other persons may continue to be at risk, and efforts must be made to identify them.
Wharton M, Bistowish JM, Hutcheson RH, Schaffner W. Fatal Carbon Monoxide Poisoning at a Motel. JAMA. 1989;261(8):1177–1178. doi:10.1001/jama.1989.03420080097039
Customize your JAMA Network experience by selecting one or more topics from the list below.