This article is only available in the PDF format. Download the PDF to view the article, as well as its associated figures and tables.
To the Editor.—
I was very interested to see the article by Achauer and co-workers (1982;247:2271). I was dining in a restaurant last fall when a person was burned severely by a flaming drink. In this instance, the unfortunate patron, who was having a birthday party, was ordered a flaming drink as a surprise by his friends. He did not realize in the poor lighting that he was drinking from a flaming glass, and sustained severe facial, mouth, and, apparently, esophageal burns.It is clear that we must encourage the restaurants in our own communities to adopt appropriate safety guidelines, such as those proposed in the article. An additional requirement, almost self-evident, would be to make the patron aware that he is being served a flaming drink.
Aller RD. Injury From Flaming Drink. JAMA. 1982;248(12):1451–1452. doi:10.1001/jama.1982.03330120021019
Customize your JAMA Network experience by selecting one or more topics from the list below.
Create a personal account or sign in to: