[Skip to Content]
Access to paid content on this site is currently suspended due to excessive activity being detected from your IP address 18.204.55.168. Please contact the publisher to request reinstatement.
[Skip to Content Landing]
Article
August 11, 1989

Carbon Monoxide Poisoning in a Motel-Reply

JAMA. 1989;262(6):772. doi:10.1001/jama.1989.03430060065015

This article is only available in the PDF format. Download the PDF to view the article, as well as its associated figures and tables.

Abstract

In Reply.—  Dr Harlan seems to have taken offense when none was given, but more unfortunately he has missed the central point of the article and its accompanying editorial. Both were meant to draw attention to a potentially preventable cause of morbidity and mortality. Carbon monoxide is responsible for almost half of all deaths from poisoning, and it is the most frequent cause of chemical asphyxiation.A major reason that several thousand people die every year from its effects is that carbon monoxide poisoning is not considered as often as it should be as a cause for unexplained coma. Dr Harlan illustrates that point when he says that after one person was found dead on the floor of a motel room with cherry-red livor mortis and another person lay a few feet away in coma, that carbon monoxide poisoning tended to be ruled out because they were found in an

×