From 1979 to 1982, in the United States, at least 95 persons were electrocuted in bathtubs; 66% of the deaths occurred during the winter and spring. Children younger than 5 years had the greatest mortality rate, and hair dryers were responsible for 60% of the deaths. Until electric appliances used in bathrooms are made safer, the appliances should be disconnected when not in use, not used in wet bathtubs, and kept away from children.
Budnick LD. Bathtub-Related Electrocutions in the United States, 1979 to 1982. JAMA. 1984;252(7):918–920. doi:10.1001/jama.1984.03350070036019
Customize your JAMA Network experience by selecting one or more topics from the list below.
Create a personal account or sign in to: