[Skip to Content]
[Skip to Content Landing]
January 17, 1996

Evaluation of the Infertile Couple-Reply

Author Affiliations

McMaster University Hamilton, Ontario

JAMA. 1996;275(3):185-186. doi:10.1001/jama.1996.03530270025020

In Reply.  —Dr Seaman and colleagues appeal for a more complete investigation of the male partner as a prerequisite to the diagnosis of unexplained infertility. I agree with their contention that the male partner should see a physician. The male partner's physician might be a family physician, a urologist, or an andrologist. Alternatively, as in the Clinical Crossroads article, both partners might consult an infertility specialist. Whatever the choice, the physician should have an interest in the broad range of issues that arise in the management of infertility and should be prepared to participate in a coordinated treatment plan that meets the wishes of the couple.In the discussion section of the article, the definitions for a normal semen analysis were based on the World Health Organization laboratory manual.1 This manual cites normal values for leukocytes in semen, an analysis that should be done routinely, and it includes methods