In this issue of JAMA, the article by Hand et al1 gives us the opportunity to inspect data drawn not from a specialized referral center but from many Illinois hospitals representing 72% of all cases of ovarian carcinoma reported in the state. It is interesting that the study's results are in accordance with data collected from many major centers around the world. Actuarial 5-year survival rates of patients in the study by Hand et al with stage I, II, and III disease are 77%, 62%, and 24%, respectively, with 55% for all three combined, compared with 79%, 57%, 23%, and 55%, respectively, for the international figures.2 Neither of these sets of data excludes patients with borderline tumors (ie, tumors of low malignant potential).
See also pp 1119 and 1123.
The 37% of patients with stage I, II, and III disease who were surgically staged and more completely resected
Richardson GS. Ovarian Cancer. JAMA. 1993;269(9):1163. doi:10.1001/jama.1993.03500090099040
Customize your JAMA Network experience by selecting one or more topics from the list below.
Create a personal account or sign in to: