This article is only available in the PDF format. Download the PDF to view the article, as well as its associated figures and tables.
On July 31 I was called to the family of Mr. James E., living at 92 East Market St., and found all the members of the family then at home, sick with a peculiar line of symptoms, of a similar character. I at once suspected a toxic agent of some kind, and on inquiry found my suspicions well grounded. The family consisted of Mr. E., aged 67, Miss E., aged 21, James E., aged 16, and Mrs. E. (age unknown); the last being away from home at that time was not taken ill. Upon further inquiry I found they had all been in their usual health the day before (July 30), on the afternoon of which day they had bought some chipped beef, and all had eaten freely of it for supper.
Miss E., a rather delicate young lady, was taken violently ill about 8:30 o'clock on the same evening,
REED RH. CASES OFPOISONING FROM THE EATING OF DRIED BEEF.. JAMA. 1887;VIII(8):203–205. doi:10.1001/jama.1887.02391330007001c
Customize your JAMA Network experience by selecting one or more topics from the list below.
Create a personal account or sign in to: