[Skip to Content]
[Skip to Content Landing]
Article
November 21, 1908

ACCIDENTAL OVERDOSE OF PHENOLPHTHALEIN.

JAMA. 1908;LI(21):1782. doi:10.1001/jama.1908.25410210038002d

This article is only available in the PDF format. Download the PDF to view the article, as well as its associated figures and tables.

Abstract

For a year past phenolphthalein has been a very popular laxative, and the following experience may be worth reporting:

A few months ago I was called to the country to care for a child, aged 3 years and a few months. On my arrival I was informed that the child had taken twenty-five or more one-grain phenolphthalein tablets of a reliable make. The tablets had been previously prescribed by me, and I am satisfied from investigating the case that the child did take at least twenty-five of the tablets at one dose. The box was full when I prescribed it; only a few tablets had been taken from the box, and the remaining tablets had been taken by the child.

A tube was passed into the stomach ninety minutes after the tablets were taken and four hours after any food had been given the child. The washing was void of

First Page Preview View Large
First page PDF preview
First page PDF preview
×