This article is only available in the PDF format. Download the PDF to view the article, as well as its associated figures and tables.
Several cases of asphyxiation in buildings where gasoline engines were being run have come to my attention lately, and I have not come across any reports of such conditions in my limited library or in medical journals.
—The operator of a gasoline fire engine was working in the engine house with the engine running and all doors open. After an hour or so he felt dizzy and fell to the floor, unconscious. There was marked pallor and body was covered with cold perspiration. The breathing was slightly stertorous. The eyes were closed, the pupils slightly dilated. The pulse remained full, regular and at normal rate. The patient winced on pressure at the supraorbital notch but remained unconscious for five hours. He felt weak and had a splitting headache for a day after; also nausea and vertigo for two days after. He had been overcome once before under the
WILLSON HS. ASPHYXIATION FROM GASOLINE FUMES. JAMA. 1909;LII(19):1494–1495. doi:10.1001/jama.1909.25420450026002f
Customize your JAMA Network experience by selecting one or more topics from the list below.
Create a personal account or sign in to: