[Skip to Content]
[Skip to Content Landing]
Article
January 8, 1910

THE COMPARATIVE STRENGTH OF DIGIPURATUM

Author Affiliations

Assistant Pharmacologist, Hygienic Laboratory, U. S. Public Health and Marine-Hospital Service WASHINGTON, D. C.

JAMA. 1910;LIV(2):129-130. doi:10.1001/jama.1910.92550280001001q
Abstract

In another paper1 I recently gave a brief outline of certain undesirable effects which frequently make digitalis medication difficult. These have constituted such decided hindrances to the best results where such medication was indicated that a number of investigators and manufacturers have employed many different formulas and pharmaceutic procedures in an effort to get rid, at least, of certain of these disturbing factors.

Among the more recent products of this class is digipuratum (extract of digitalis depuratum, Knoll). The method of preparation is kept secret, but digipuratum is said to be a purified extract of digitalis, which, by a process of purification originated by Gottlieb,2 is freed from about 85 per cent. of inert and undesirable material, including the irritating saponin-like body digitonin. The remaining 15 per cent. is said to represent the full activity of the original extract and to contain both digitoxin and digitalin. The digitalis extract having

×