Several years ago the following case of lead poisoning with fatal termination occurred in one of my hospital services. For obvious reasons its publication has been delayed.
—A young man was admitted to hospital suffering from an electric burn received a month before. A cold chisel had fallen out of his hand onto the third rail of the electric railway where he was working, and the resulting flash had burned both hands and his face, neck and the upper chest (it being summer his shirt was open), but had not set his clothing on fire. There was moderately extensive burn of the face, neck and chest, much of it eroded and with some necrotic areas. His left hand showed on the dorsum merely a large raw area; but the right, in addition to the second degree burn that covered most of the surface, showed beginning necrosis of the last
GOTTHEIL WS. FATAL LEAD POISONING FEOM THE USE OF BUROW'S SOLUTION. JAMA. 1910;LIV(13):1056–1057. doi:10.1001/jama.1910.92550390004002m
Coronavirus Resource Center
Customize your JAMA Network experience by selecting one or more topics from the list below.
Create a personal account or sign in to: